Saturday, November 6, 2010

Update on Richard

So Richard came and soaked everything I owned and almost drowned my family and me. I am lucky and grateful to be alive.

I know this.

However, I am not pleased at all with the way that things are going.
No one seems to understand the extent of my loss.
NEMO and many others came to assess damages; they took pictures and expressed amazement at the extent of my loss yet no support has been forthcoming.

So yes I have my family, thank God but I am homeless, forced to seek lodging at a friend’s house and not being able to provide for my sons who mean the world to me.

Like I said in class, I have always considered myself a proud independent woman and I do not appreciate the way the government agencies are humiliating me
by telling me they will assist my family with food and yet to date
I don’t seem to qualify for something as simple as food!

Having waited for so long and having not received any package from any government agency, I explained to Mr. Roger Espejo my disappointment;

he told me to go on Regent street and ask for Ms. Pennil at Human Services Department, who would give me a package of food.

Believing him, I went to go pick it up then when I got there I was told by Ms Pennil that I needed to go back home and wait there for someone to come and assess my house first and then I would get food so I left with nothing for they gave nothing.

A few more days passed and no food came, yet each night newscasts featured food distribution to people of the “Port Layola” area.

Again I visited Regent Street and spoke to Ms. Pennil.

I reminded her of what she has said about the assessment and informed her that I still did not get any food.

Well! She told me I would not be getting any because I had a job and I did not need the assistance.

WOW!! Really! Wow!! Who is she to tell me what I do and do not need?

Well you know I had to ask her! I said Ms. Pennil,

“Look at me. (This was Frinday, I was dressed the same as for classes that morning)

Do I look like a person who would come all the way here if I did not need to…really?”

I explained that I have always subsidized my income with my landscaping or id printing and neither was possible now because all my equipment was destroyed;

(I had the pictures to prove it) yet my financial obligations remained the same and because I had no means of making extra money I would face losing my house. .

I explained that her actions were unreasonable and she replied that when I have no house or job then they can help me.

I asked was the relief not for victims of the hurricane or only unemployed people. She said, “Miss you have a job”, as if that was something bad.

To be honest, I feel like a victim, but not because of the Hurricane Richard.

I feel persecuted for being an employed, educated member of society.

I have always been an honest, hard working, law abiding, productive member of society, working for many years.
I pay my taxes.
Under normal circumstances I would never be asking for anything other than,
“Can I offer you landscaping services or print your companies ID cards?”
and for them to treat me this way when I am in need, is despicable!

Never have I ever imagined that I would be placed in such a position.
It really is hard for me to have had everything and to have lost it all so quickly. This was really unexpected and I struggle emotionally and the added stress of their actions is uncalled for.

I remember Mr. Roger Espejo on a television interview where he spoke of my case and said that the government “would assist the teacher on Reggae St.” well I have received no assistance and I am surprised and upset.

Anyway, being the fighter and businesswoman that got me all I had in the first place, I will not give up.

I did break down, I admit, but now I am ready to try again, for my sanity, for my sons, for my future and as an example to women and all my students past and present.

My first plan of action is a bar-b-q that will be held this Friday November 12th 2010.

This bar-b-q will be done Cayo style with
Cooper's secret ingredient (yummy)and be sold at $5.00 each.

I will have tickets available on Monday so feel free to come pick one up.

Tell your friends..true…tell them! I will have a tent across from the SJC roundabout (where printing is done)
Yes! The gentleman gave me permission to use his yard.
Food will be available from eleven.. well that’s the plan.

As for what I need, some people have expressed their desire to help and feeling that I would take their offer the wrong way so here is a multiple choice. Lol

a. You can support me by buying a ticket
b. You can help me sell some tickets
c. You can bring any of the following to be used for the bbq (foil paper, bbq sauce, coal, plastic bags.)
d. You can offer to deliver bbq on that day

2 comments:

  1. i will help u sell tickets and i will buy aswell

    ReplyDelete
  2. My answer is B, I will try to help you sell some tickets :-D

    ReplyDelete